Situated on the River Suir with the Galty Mountains to the West, the Knockmealdown Mountains to the South, the Comeragh Mountains to the South-East and Slievenamon to the East, the area around Cahir offers a large amount of rich and varied scenery.
The Cahir area has been inhabited since megalithic times. There is evidence of settlement in and around Cahir since the third century AD. By this time, the rock on which Cahir Castle was subsequently built. was occupied by an earthen fort. This was later replaced by a stone fort, From these developments, the Gaelic name for Cahir – Cathair Dun Iascaigh (the stone fort of the earthen fort of the fish) — has its origins.
The origins of Cahir are as an easily defended crossing point of the River Suir, and by the mid 1600′s a large village had developed.
The market town of Cahir, with its square principal streets, has eighteenth century origins. The current layout dates to the second quarter of the nineteenth century when its was rebuilt to the designs of william Tinsley, architect for Richard Butler, 2nd earl of Glengall.
Cahir is a centrally located and modern commuter town that is within easy access of all major Irish cities, ports and airports by road, bus and rail. It is an ideal touring base For exploring Tipperary, adjoining counties and further afield.